a bit of info, from the owner / builder:
My family has always been a Ford family and some time in high school I decided I wanted a first gen. Econoline. I ended up buying this one a few years later after someone broke into my daily driver, took a chunk out of the paint and put a dent in it. The insurance company cut me a check to fix the window and have the body work done, but I was taking the paint and body program at Renton Technical College. So I decided to buy a new window, fix the paint and cash the check.
I found this ‘61 Econo on Craigslist for $800, and I now had the means to buy it. I went down to Olympia with my dad to look at it, he had some vans in the past so he had a better idea of what to look for in terms of mechanical problems. I test drove it and knew I had to have it. It wasn’t much more than a month before I started tearing into it. I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it. I told the guy I bought it from: Gold flake, yellow windows, Astro Supremes. My final year at RTC I was allowed to bring in a project, so I decided to build the van. I had dry secure storage, a nice paint both, and 6 or 7 hours a day every day for 5 months to work.
Here is a short list of mods, forgive me if I forget some ( its been a while since I did them): Molded door hinges, shaved windsheild squirters, ‘59 Buick grill and custom surround, shaved handles, shaved body seams, lake pipes, stainless nerf bars, the louvers on the rear pan came from fire locker doors, ‘60 Pontiac tail lights with cabinet knobs, relocated lock cover for rear handle, and license plate mounting chains.
The van started out life as a school bus. It’s still running a 170 c.i. 6 with a 3 speed on the column.When all of the paint was being stripped I found the old lettering for the Olympia School District, and I found a hole in the side where a fold out stop sign would have been mounted. There are still a few places on the inside where if you look real close you can see some of the original school bus yellow. When I painted the van it got 3 coats of custom mixed pearl yellow base, 13 coats of DBC 500 and gold House of Kolor mini ball flake, and 3 coats of clear. Then it was all wet sanded flat and I masked out the panels. Then I sprayed a mixture of House of Kolor brandy wine, tangerine, and rootbeer candy… followed 3 more coats of clear. I went with the plastic window because when I was looking at window tint colors their yellow wasn’t vibrant enough but the plastic was, and I thought Hell if its good enough for a drag car it’s good enough for a van.
I have a small welding and fab company called Kehrer Co. - I specialize in custom metal working for any application. I make custom alloy and exotic wood shift knobs, knife handles, and tool handles. I have an affinity for very expensive things, but since I can’t afford them I make them. If folks in the Northwest are interested in me doing some work for them, my business email is Kehrerco@gmail.com. Oh and the TV does work. It has a digital converter box on it you can actually get a picture.